bad loop - Impressions and Expressions of Ijon
1. I suck at memorizing things.
2. I suck at making myself do things at which I suck.
Current Mood: frustrated
Current Music: Joni Mitchell -- A Case of You
|Date:||May 10th, 2003 02:33 am (UTC)|| |
Freestyle advice from a fellow (sister?) sufferer...
1. Are you getting "enough" sleep? Eating sensibly? I'm told there are physiological components that affect brain functions. Seems plausible!
2. ... what can I say? I'm an avoider for decades in this regard. Nevertheless, wisdom tells us to go with the carrot, not the stick. Enhanced motivation might do the trick, if not actual wonders.
And take it from me, skip the self-flagellation. (Why torture yourself, when there are so many others, besides simply cruel or indifferent circumstances, to do it for you?)
|Date:||May 11th, 2003 08:23 am (UTC)|| |
Re: Freestyle advice from a fellow (sister?) sufferer...
1. I generally get enough sleep, yes. I'm not eating sensible, but then I never did eat sensibly. I haven't been having breakfast in, oh, fifteen years or so, for instance. Despite that, and my not sleeping at all last night (see below), I got away with it at the crucial moments of the test.
2. I hate memorizing things by rote. It's hard to motivate myself to do it; I suck at finding faux motivation even more than I suck at making myself do things without motivation.
My entry was not self-flagellation, I think. More like venting.
1. What do you need to memorize? Maybe I can help...
2. Join the club ;-)
|Date:||May 11th, 2003 08:14 am (UTC)|| |
I had to memorize lots of Greek verb forms for a comprehensive test (taken this morning) summarizing the regular verb system (verba themata only, for now, to any Greek speaker out there).
Do you know the book "סוד הזכרון המצוין" by Eran Katz? He got some cool tricks in there... They really work!
I'm with you.
I find this tremendously embarrassing, but I used a flashcards last semester for vocabulary words and hieroglyphs, and it really helped.
|Date:||May 11th, 2003 08:19 am (UTC)|| |
I'm not embarrassed to use flash cards, though I've never actually bothered to make any. What I think I'll do, though, is write that grammar and vocab. drill program I've been forever meaning to write. In my mind, it went through four programming languages, three platforms, and four human languages already, but I haven't written a single line yet... Have I mentioned the fact I suck?
For the very first time in my life (if memory serves), I got so tense about the test (I think it was about the test...) that I simply couldn't fall asleep last night, and spent hours rolling around in bed with participles and plus-quam-perfecta running about my half-asleep mind. Now that's embarrassing... But perhaps it helped -- the test went very well.
I actually made the husband write me such a drill program once (I don't do perl -- or, at least, I find asking him to write a few lines of perl a few times a year far more efficient than actually learning the language myself ;). And...uh, then I never really used it. Not sure why. Probably in part because it tied me to my desktop. And in part because it didn't actually support Greek characters and I hate reading the various transliteration schemes. 'Course I had plenty of Latin to memorize too...
Alternate scheme: learn brand-new language. I tend to find that the first n words & grammar bits of a language come pretty much for free -- I don't have to do substantial work until late in the first semester, maybe sometime in the second ;). Of course, I pay for this down the road by having a half-assed knowledge of the language, but at least I get a sense of effortless accomplishment in the meantime :).
Heh. I'm not helping, am I.
|Date:||May 10th, 2003 11:36 am (UTC)|| |
We should re-schedule...
Hey, Good Luck on that test tomorrow...
[Of course we all know Luck won't have anything to do with it... ;)]
How about Wednesday?