Plans for the Summer: Part One - Impressions and Expressions of Ijon
Plans for the Summer: Part One|
Three short papers and that one missed exam are the extent of academic duties I have left for this year. This leaves me with quite a lot of time during the summer. Part of that time would be spent working. Here are some of things I seriously want to do with the rest:
- Develop a content- and task-management system for Project Ben-Yehuda (aka BYBE). gaal, arnulf, and nimster_lj have all volunteered to help with this. Together, we should be able to pull something together by September, I think.
- Reach an "empty queue" status in my editorial and managerial roles in the BY project. This means lots of correspondence, lots of editing and publishing work, some PR and contact with external organizations, etc. It also presents the dilemma of balancing this "actual" work with the "meta-work" of BYBE, which work in turn should save/shorten a lot of that actual work once completed...
- Reading: the Bible (cover-to-cover); four novels for a course I'm taking next year; Plutarch's Lives; Thucydides; plus whatever else fits (e.g. Ulysses), and I hope a lot would.
- Social: keeping up our Bible reading group; keeping up our "Prosody" (heh) seminar; reviving the Homer reading group; prodding gaal about that Drama reading group; road trips
- Driving down to the Red Sea Jazz Festival in Eilat (late August) -- with my regular jazz accomplice hattie and hopefully others.
- Taking an intensive German course in the Goethe Institute.
- Putting in some time into learning to play the piano, at long last.
- Taking care of myself.
- Occasional Greek practice, so as not to realize in October that I lost all of it.
That's a list off the top of my head at the moment. There are doubtless other things I've delegated to summer throughout the past year. Realistically, I shall probably fail to achieve at least a few of these goals. But hey, I'm going to give it a hell of a try.
Current Music: John Coltrane -- Blue Train
|Date:||June 24th, 2003 11:33 am (UTC)|| |
Yeah, count me in for that one :)
|Date:||June 26th, 2003 07:58 am (UTC)|| |
|Date:||June 26th, 2003 08:07 am (UTC)|| |
Yup. You game?
Aha (apart for my fear of not being good enough, yes)
|Date:||June 24th, 2003 12:29 pm (UTC)|| |
אם הקורס לגרמנית לא עולה הרבה כסף, אני אצטרף אליך.
במכון גתה בירושלים קורס גרמנית סימסטריאלי למתחילים עולה בסביבות ה1000 שקל, אחרי הנחה לסטודנטים.
|Date:||June 26th, 2003 07:51 am (UTC)|| |
|Date:||October 21st, 2003 12:22 pm (UTC)|| |
עכשיו, אחרי שני קורסים בגתה, אני ממליץ בחום. היידה עדיגי!
|Date:||October 21st, 2003 02:37 pm (UTC)|| |
שבוע הבא אני אגש לשם ואברר פרטים
|Date:||June 25th, 2003 12:08 am (UTC)|| |
Any idea when that German summer course starts, or how much is it? I've been thinking about trying to acquire German myself, though I'm still in doubt: Next year in the university would be particularly hard on me (especially my Arabic studies), and I'm afraid I would just lose all that I've managed to pick up during the summer due to lack of time for practice. Happened to me with Latin once. Now I can't remember anything.
By the way, how good is your Latin?
|Date:||June 26th, 2003 07:19 am (UTC)|| |
Here is a page with complete info
about the courses, including prices.
My Latin is incomplete and weak: incomplete, as I miss large chunks of grammar I've never picked up; weak, as I haven't practiced seriously in more than five years. Next year I'll be studying Latin seriously again, alongside Greek.
|Date:||June 27th, 2003 10:10 am (UTC)|| |
אני מציין בחוסר שביעות רצון
שרשימת הקריאה שלך איננה כוללת את "זכרונות אדריאנוס" או את "החשבון הלאומי."
|Date:||June 30th, 2003 06:12 am (UTC)|| |
|Date:||October 21st, 2003 12:25 pm (UTC)|| |
Re: אני מציין בחוסר שביעות רצון
ודאי תשמח לשמוע ששותפי הנאמן נשבה בקסמו של אדריאנוס, והוא קורא את זכרונותיו בשקיקה בימים אלו.
|Date:||July 4th, 2003 08:51 am (UTC)|| |
פסטיבל הג'אז באילת
אני אקפוץ בצורה חצופה ואציין שאם בא לך שזעטוט שאתה בקושי מכיר יצטרף אליך, אני יותר מאשמח בהנחה שהבעלים שלי ישחררו אותי, או יתנו לי רגילה.