Don't Come Back, Ehud! - Impressions and Expressions of Ijon
Don't Come Back, Ehud!|
Current Mood: wistful
Current Music: Handel -- Music for the Royal Fireworks
I think he might make it though.
There is a far bigger problem however then Barak returning to politics (I dont think he can beat Sharon or Bibi... I think labour has got a couple of more years before it returns to power) - Still... why is it, that all Israeli leaders are ex-generals? off course the military has great effect on life in israel but still... why do the israeli people keep on voting for them. REASON: because the generals while in the job enjoy positive media and then once their out - theres nothing stopping them.
Sadly, Israeli politics is composed of:
1. Generals that use positive media from x job.
2. Lawyers that know the ins and outs and do "Kombinot".
3. Morons - need i say more?.
A number of changes i would love to see to our political system:
1. Bar of 5% entry of total votes to knesset, there is also room to consider formation of an upper house.
2. Change of electoral voting system - not just a normal note with a party on it... when you, the voter, has no control on the party's candidate list. INSTEAD - you vote for a party and then you have right to give prefrances whom you prefer in that party - then we will see those buggers working for the voter and not only for the merkaz miflaga. this system is operational in the Netherlands if im not mistaken. it works!.
3. Cooling off period for retired generals or any public figure at that - at least 2-3 years.
4. Illegelizing party's that will not accept the role of Democracy and the supremacy of the supreme high court. Law & Order above all.
5. Any MK and Minister MUST give control of his/her accounts to a 3rd side accountant (accountant will be appointed by a public body which is itself overseen by the judical authority). so politicians will think twice before they steal.
6. Heads of public orgnizations that might have clash of intrest with Knesset or Government will not be allowed to hold 2 jobs (Out AMIR PERETZ!). Its not only mayors that should be forbidden.
7. Anyone who has a "big/important public or private job" should be made to leave that job if voted to Knesset or Government, so he/she can concentrate on one job. not have two jobs and hence do nothing.
8. Change of "political appointing" system. Put an end to it for short. make it proffesional. off course MK and Ministers will be able to bring in "thier man" here and there but no more then that.
I know im dreaming if i think all the above can happen. but as ive said to other friends before - Israel needs a Cultural Revoulotion. The above "Political Reform" could make Israel a more sane place to live in.